[PD] file association on gnome

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Tue Sep 23 13:05:16 CEST 2008

yes, this is normal, since .pd file does not have a mime time, so gnome see it as a text file.
here is what need to be done in order to make it work as expected (on ubuntu):

# add mime type to .pd files
    cp mime_pd-extended.xml /usr/share/mime/packages/pd-extended.xml
    update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
# add icon to this mime type
# works curently only on gnome, is it possible to find a better way to do this?
    cp /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/pd.png /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/mimetypes/gnome-mime-application-pd-extended.png
    chmod 644 /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/mimetypes/gnome-mime-application-pd-extended.png
    gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/gnome/
# adding pd by default on clicking on this files
    echo "application/pd-extended=pd-extended.desktop" >> /usr/share/applications/defaults.list

cyrille