[PD] Displaying Music (-al notation) during Performance.

Charles Martin cpm at charlesmartin.com.au
Wed Sep 24 11:44:10 CEST 2008

Hi list!

Has anybody had any experience displaying music (notation) on screen
during a performance? Using Pd or otherwise?

I'm planning to do a complicated percussion performance with many
instruments and sticks and mallets. Unfortunately the music for the
piece is 10 A3 pages (!) so I thought this would be a good opportunity
to work out a system for displaying the music on a big screen (I have
a 22 inch monitor that I could potentially mount on a music stand.

The music is in a scanned pdf at the moment but there's no reason I
couldn't have it it any other format. Although I think it would be
cool to have one line of music continually scanning across or pages
scrolling up, I think it would be best to stick to the one-page-at-a-
time metaphor and use a foot-pedal to control page turns (I already
need to use a foot-pedal to cue the electronic components of the music).

BTW, the piece is Six Japanese Gardens by Kaija Saariaho and which has
a electronic accompaniment and effects written in Max/MSP.

BTW2, I posted this message to several places on the internet. Sorry
if anybody feels it's off-topic.

Charles Martin
Australian National University, Canberra.