[PD] firmata sporadic at enabling analog ins?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Sep 30 19:53:36 CEST 2008

If you are on GNU/Linux or Mac OS X and using an Arduino Diecimila,
then the Arduino will reset whenever you connect to it, i.e. send
[open 2( message.  It needs to then boot up again.

Once the Arduino has booted up, it'll report its version.  You can
get this version message from [arduino]'s 2nd outlet.  So you could
[route version] and use that to send the messages.  That will
guarantee the arduino is ready to listen to your messages.

.hc

On Sep 19, 2008, at 1:25 AM, Spencer Russell wrote:

> I've got an arduino with 5 capacitive distance sensors plugged into
> the analog ins. I just flashed the newest firmata-standard, and now
> things aren't working as expected.
>
> the first thing I do is connect to /dev/ttyUSB0, which works fine.
> Then I send the messages
>
> [analogIns 0 1(
>
> [analogIns 1, 1(
>
> etc...
>
> to the arduino object. The funny thing is that any given input only
> seems to turn on about 1 in 4 times I send the message. Once it's
> on PD receives the data like a champ. I tried adding delay between
> connecting via serial and turning on the inputs, but it didn't seem
> to help even when adding a 2 second delay after the connection, and
> 500ms delay between turning on each input.
>
> thanks,
> spencer

----

                             kill your television