[PD] pd-extended on Gentoo

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Sat Oct 4 02:57:20 CEST 2008

Howdy!

I just tried installing the Gentoo Pd-Extended Ebuild following these
instructions:

http://pd-overlay.sourceforge.net/setup.html

The Ebuild compiles cleanly, which is quite cool because looking at
the whole thing happening, you realize how much stuff is actually in
there!

However, I have some problems to report:

1) Is there any reason why JACK support is not included in the Ebuild?
I know I could hack it myself and include the USE flag, but I wonder
if it was a conscious choice or not...

2) I had to manually do the following:

cp
/usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src/pd-extended/v0-40/packages/linux_make/default.pdsettings
/home/derek/.pdsettings

I think this is a common problem with all Pd-Extended packages, that
the package manager doesn't do the final step of configuring Pd. Could
this be improved?
In particular, this is exactly what "etc-update" on Gentoo would be
good for, since it allows you to compare and merge changes rather than
simply overwrite files.

3) Some libs/objects/abs still don't load, notably Gem, arduino,
list-abs, memento, pddp, pixeltango, rradical, jmmmp, pdp, pidip...
and I'm sure there are others. Path problem with the pdsettings perhaps?

4) I don't know how stable 0.40 is for me compared to 0.39. I still
get lots of unexpected crashes and such on both Linux and OSX. Is
there a 0.39 extended Ebuild kicking around anywhere?

As usual, help appreciated!

best,
Derek