[PD] bugs+problems: Pd 0.40.3-extended, Windows XP

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Oct 4 23:51:06 CEST 2008

On Oct 2, 2008, at 11:56 AM, Marko Timlin wrote:

> I´m using Pd version 0.40.3-extended under Windows XP:
> Unfortunately this version turned out to be extremly unstable
> width='100%'. It freezes very often.
> Before that I was using Pd-0.39.3-extended and it not once froze or
> crashed during the whole time using the same computer.

The biggest problem is that there aren't any active developers who
are working on the Windows side of things for Pd.  Literally, the
only time I use Windows is to test Pd-extended builds.

At the minimum, you could file detailed bug reports about the
problems in the bug tracker.  If you can make a simple Pd patch that
causes the problem every time you run it, that makes it much, much
easier to fix a bug.

There is a good chance that I'll put out a quick bugfix release of
0.40.3 for Windows, mostly so file bug reports now.

> Bugs:
> - if you try to open a help file like for example [tabread], Pd
> doesn`t open the help file and completely freezes?

This doesn't crash on the WinXP machine I have access too, but
[tabread] does have a strange issue with  the [pddp] object in the
help file, so I removed it.  Perhaps that is cuasing your crash.

> - these objects [&&~], [!!~] don`t create?

I don't have those on Ubuntu or Mac OS X either.  I think those are
not there because of the hexloader issues.

.hc

> Any ways to fix that?
> Any way to make this version more stable?
>
> Marko

----

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams