[PD] 6 speakers in a circle, ambi? vbap?

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Mon Oct 6 12:23:19 CEST 2008

I would say it depends mainly on where the audience is situated. If
they are supposed to wander around off-center 6 speakers might not be
enough in a larger room.
It also depends very much on the speakers, whether they have a narrow
or wide diffusion angle and on other characteristics (e.g. whether
they are horn-loaded etc.). Depending on the sounds material, your
speaker type and the room you might also want to have one or two
subwoofers.
I'm not an expert on ambisonics but i had the experience that it
doesn't work well in rooms which are not acoustically dry in which
case you get a lot of ugly phase cancellations due to wall
reflections. VBAP doesn't seem to be that sensitive in that respect.
I guess that for the small number of speakers VBAP is the better
choice - you might want to experience with the spread factor there to
avoid too much focusing on one speaker.
I'm curious about the opinion of the IEM and SARC experts.
all the best, Thomas