[PD] looking for open dmx external

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Mon Oct 6 22:48:40 CEST 2008

David Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> The Open DMX has stability problems and the fading is jolty
> sometimes. Something to do with not being able to store an entire DMX
> frame at the same time I think. I read an article a while ago that
> explained the exact differences, but I can't seem to find it again.

actually, the Open DMX is just a standard FTDI-based USB to serial adapter
with the outputs wired into a 5-pin DMX plug. in other words, you could
achieve exactly the same with a standard serial port, wiring up the RX/TX
lines into the right pins. this is all the Open DMX is on the inside. the
system driver takes care of the timing, and doesn't do a very good job of
it at all.

definitely go with the Pro.

damian stewart | skype: damiansnz | damian at frey.co.nz
frey | live art with machines | http://www.frey.co.nz