[PD] tap into delay line

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Thu Oct 9 22:52:43 CEST 2008

Sebastian Schlecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to write into a delay line and NOT at the beginning like
> delwrite~. For example:
>
> delay line length is 200 ms. I want to write an audio signal at 50 ms,
> 100 ms and 150 ms without using 4 delay lines, because it has to be
> dynamic.

one way to do this is to implement your own delay line using four
[tabwrite~]s and a single [tabplay~] or [tabread4~]. you'd have to
conceptually reverse things though, because rather than tape moving around
in a loop and the heads staying still, as happens with an analog tape
delay, you'd have the 'tape' staying still while the digital read and write
'heads' (the [tabwrite~] and [tabplay~]s or [tabread4~]s) moved around it.
the only problem with this is that you can't change the record rate of a
[tabwrite~].

hmm. [tabwrite4~] anyone? it should be possible.. just invert the
interpolation equations...?

damian stewart | skype: damiansnz | damian at frey.co.nz
frey | live art with machines | http://www.frey.co.nz