[PD] some naming conventions

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Oct 10 00:19:36 CEST 2008

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008, Derek Holzer wrote:

> In the Pure Data FLOSS Manual, there are a naming couple conventions
> that I'm still uncertain about using there:
>
> 1) audio object vs [dataflow/message/non-audio/data/numeric] object

I like "message", I think that is pretty widely used.  "dataflow", "data",
and "numeric" are all not correct, so should be avoided IMHO.  audio and
message objects can have data, numeric data, and all are part of the
dataflow.

> 2) edit mode vs [play/perform/performance/non-edit] mode

I think in the Pd manual, it's called "run" mode, but that doesn't make
sense since Pd is always running.  I like "play" mode.

.hc