[PD] Building Externals

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Oct 11 22:54:29 CEST 2008

On Oct 11, 2008, at 1:33 PM, carmen r wrote:

> On Sat Oct 11, 2008 at 07:15:59PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Hallo,
>> Alex hat gesagt: // Alex wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to build the new svn externals?
>>> I downloaded from the svn:
>>> https://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pure-data/trunk/
>>> externals
>>>
>>> I run make mrpeach [I'm only worried about this external at this
>>> time]
>>> and I get:
>>>
>>> 09:20:13 $ make mrpeach
>>> Makefile:27: /packages/Makefile.buildlayout: No such file or
>>> directory
>>> grep: /sigpack/source/sIgpAck.c: No such file or directory
>>> grep: /zexy/src/zexy.h: No such file or directory
>>> make: *** No rule to make target `/packages/
>>> Makefile.buildlayout'.  Stop.
>>
>> You also need to check out the "packages" directory. In fact, it's
>> best
>> to check out everything in trunk once.
>>
>>> It seems to me that in an effort to make things 'easy' and
>>> 'centralized' this has actually become more complicated and less
>>> easy.
>>>  It would be easier for me if I could just dl the externals I want,
>>> and run 'make' in their respective directories [maybe editing the
>>> destination path before I do that].
>>
>> This works for some externals, but mrpeach doesn't have its own
>> makefile
>> (AFAIK). The global build system is the only global one actively
>> maintained, so unless someone comes  up with and maintains a
>> better one,
>> that's all there is.
>
> the thing is, there _Was_ sometihng more sane
>
> you know,
> for dir in */; do
>   cd dir
>   make
> done
>
> (or the suitable slightly less verbose Makefile way of doing such)

Whatever was there is still there.  We removed no makefiles in the
process of making that one.  That's why it's all in one file.

> is someone going to revert changes if i go and split up that
> monster makefile?

If you want to improve the build system, that would be very great.
There has been a lot of discussion about how to do this over the
years.  Make a proposal how would you do it, and we'll take it from
there.

.hc