[PD] split symbol

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Oct 13 17:50:15 CEST 2008

Hallo,
Hans Roels hat gesagt: // Hans Roels wrote:

> Is it possible to split a symbol in Pd vanilla?

No.

> F.e. I want to get the number 1 out of the send name 'pitch-1'  I
> found some references about externals in this mailing list but not a
> solution in plain Pd.  Is it impossible or has somebody found a trick?

You could rethink the way you use sends. If you want to get "1
something" when sending "something" to a receiver called "pitch-1" you
could instead use a receiver called "pitch" and send "1 something" to
it. I.e.:

 old:

 [something(

 [s p-1]

 [r p-1]

 "something"

 new:

 [1 something(

 [s p]

 [r p]

 [route 1]

 "something"

This idiom often is more flexible in other regards, too, and a trick to
remember.

Ciao
--
Frank