[PD] expr modulo negative

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 00:25:22 CEST 2008

I think that since Miller is a self-described math geek, the difference is
that [mod] behaves like the mathematical (mod n). [%] is the modulo operator
used by computer science.

If my memory serves me, in number theory and abstract algebra, the m (mod n)
notation is used to define a subset of the integers (called a congruence
class) which contains n-1 elements.

For example, 5 (mod 3) == 2. Likewise, -5 (mod 3) == -2 (mod 3) == 1 (mod 3)
== 1. Note that my use of == here represents congruence and not necessarily
equality.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic for a much more informed
discussion of this topic.

~Kyle