[PD] Help with compressor/limiter abstraction

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Oct 15 17:41:51 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 17:24 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Frank Barknecht hat gesagt: // Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to build a pure-Pd compressor/limiter effect.
>
> Attached is a slightly better version, which now uses a snapshot~ to
> get the current gain, which then is compared to the target gain to
> calculate the next gain. Now it seems to be possible to actually
> compress audio with it, if you set a low threshold (~ 0.2), a sharp
> attack (~1ms), and comp1 to some small value (or 1/comp1 to a large
> one) while keeping comp1 at 1.
>
> Testing and comments would be cool!

yo.. this really interests me. i will test and comment it soon (when i
have little time). in the meanwhile i would like to ask: what is the
idea of having two ratios (c1 and c2 are ratios, aren't they?)?
and if both are ratios: how comes, that there is only one threshold? i
may be misunderstanding the basic idea of it.

roman