[PD] PD on Iphone/Palm, etc.

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Fri Oct 17 11:41:55 CEST 2008

Jean-Noël Montagné wrote:

> I really appreciate that some of you, developpers, like to invent PD
> devs for such mobile devices. Great developpements. Big fun. But you
> spend a lot of time for those games for rich, for an elite. In many
> countries, just the price of an Iphone and accessories is enough to
> feed one starving family FOR A YEAR !

you're preaching to the converted on this one. the second or third day i
was here i got very drunk with the CEO and berated him over exactly this.

and yet, we do it anyway.

if i wasn't doing this, someone else would be. and at least in this case i
get to play the dirty anarchist, getting drunk with the CEO and reminding
him that he lives in a super-rich country and that life for most people on
the world sucks, that the things he is basing his career on (the things
*all* of us are basing our careers on) are non-recyclable non-renewable and
directly contributing to the loss of habitat, environment, biodiversity,
human rights, and clean water in places as far away as China and South America.

there's arguments to be said that making music is a way around this -
making music, if it emotionally affects people, is a way of wresting their
consciousnesses away from a work-consume-sleep-die lifecycle and toward
something more real. my work on RjDj will potentially lead to more
situations where i can meet more people face to face, and i'm a semi-vegan
anarchist environmentalist, the sort of guy who shares opinions unasked for.

so.

damian stewart | skype: damiansnz | damian at frey.co.nz
frey | live art with machines | http://www.frey.co.nz