[PD] Debugging sound

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 23:58:05 CEST 2008

A common source of spurious signals occurs at the interface
between control logic in the message domain and audio rate
computations. Careful thought about how envelope curves are
obtained will help. As a general rule I find converting all
control signals to audio and carefully deploying [lop] units
can solve most problems of this kind.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 17:25:36 -0400
"David F. Place" <d at vidplace.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So, I've created some complex Pd patches that do what I want very
> nicely.  I decided to write some of my creations to CD.  Listening to
> the selections on my good CD player with excellent headphones, I heard
> some acoustical artifacts that I hadn't noticed when I was working in
> front of my computer listening through speakers.   This extra "buzzing"
> sound is quite annoying.  It's hard to imagine how my patches are making
> it.   Does anyone have any wisdom about how to track down and fix these
> kind of problems?  Are there any usual things you check first?
>
> At first, I thought it might be the process of transferring the ".wav"
> files to a CD-R, but when I listen with headphones, I can hear it
> directly from my dacs (Edirol UA-25).  It doesn't matter if I set the
> sampling rate to 96000.   I thought [freeverb~] might be adding the
> sound, but when I bypass freeverb I still hear it.  My basic sound
> producing algorithm is derived from the exponential waveshaping example
> in the documentation.   Maybe there is some marginality or limitation to
> that approach that I don't understand?
>
> Well, thanks for reading.  Even if you don't have any ideas for me, I
> think it would be interesting to hear stories about how people have
> tracked down and fixed their own sound "bugs."
>
> Cheers,
> David

Use the source