[PD] error with PD-file

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Sun Oct 19 14:08:27 CEST 2008

Hi Philippe,

The problem is of course how Pd interacts with the operating system,
which seems stable in 0.39 in this respect and unstable in 0.43.

The "operating system" way to workaround this restriction is use the
strategy discussed on the bittorrent site I already quoted. Open the
terminal and type:

ulimit -n 2000

or maybe instead:

sudo ulimit -n 2000

then type:

/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/MacOS/Pd-extended

Or Google around for a way to increase your ulimit amount for all
applications. Keep in mind that this could allow a runaway app--such as
an unstable new version of Pd for example--to really slow down or crash
your whole system!

The "Pd way" would be to not use so many abstractions. Is it really that
you have all these autonomous elements as subpatches or are they
actually abstractions? I can't see how subpatches (sections within a
single Pd file) would cause this problem with running out of file
handles, but opening 300 abstractions (individual Pd files) might easily
do that. Consider converting abstractions to subpatches whenever possible.

Also, do you *really* need such a testing version of Pd? Let the Pd devs
crash their heads against their keyboards fixing 0.43 for a while longer
before trying to get usable results out of it.

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista