[PD] Scope of [block~] and [switch~]

David F. Place d at vidplace.com
Mon Oct 20 14:47:38 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am trying to understand oversampling to eliminate foldover from my
patches.  In the help file for block~ we read:

        The block~ and switch~ objects set the block size, overlap, and
        up/down-sampling ratio for the window. (The overlap and
        resampling ratio are relative to the super-patch.)

This is confusing to me. If the overlap and resampling ratio are
relative to the super-patch, then shouldn't block~ set the block size,
overlap, and up/down-sampling ratio for the window and all its sub
windows?  (sub-patches and abstractions)  Is that how it works, in fact?

If not, do you have to include all of the audio rate objects at the same
level in a patch without using sub-patches or abstractions?

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
David