[PD] adding 'debian' folder to trunk

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Oct 22 07:22:37 CEST 2008

On Oct 21, 2008, at 7:01 PM, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Anyone have a problem if we add a 'debian' folder to the trunk?
>
> I think it's a bad idea.
>
>> That's the standard debian setup,  then it would be possible to
>> build .debs for all the libs by downloading trunk and running the
>> build in the nromal way.
>
> As far as I understand it, standard Debian setup is stable source
> tarballs from "upstream", then Debian maintainer adds "debian/",
> updating it as needed for each new upstream release and/or
> packaging fixes.
>
>> For Pd itself, there probably should be a pd/debian folder.
>> Ideally  Miller would include Günter's debian folder that he uses
>> for the  official debian package.
>
> I think it's better to keep the "debian/" stuff managed separately,
> and for stable source tarballs to be released when the author(s)
> feel they are ready to be packaged for Debian and/or any other
> distro/OS/whatever.
>
> Better to have distro maintainers do what they're good at and Pd
> maintainers do what they're good at, rather than trying to do the
> whole world's job, imo.

Lots of projects include the "debian" folder in their repositories.
I am a big fan of it because it makes it really easy for people to
build their own .deb packages.  Plus if someone wants to modify the
package, the files are right there.

----

You can't steal a gift. Bird gave the world his music, and if you can
hear it, you can have it. - Dizzy Gillespie