[PD] pd -nogui, connecting/disconnecting from soundcards

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Wed Oct 22 09:37:27 CEST 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> There is the big message to configure the audio interface, I'll bet you
> could use that.  Search the archives for that.  It's something like:
>
> [pd audio 01 1 4 5 23 34 3 56 3763 2 2(

or just use [r pd]--[print] while playing with the settings dialogs and
copy the messages to resend later...

but i don't know if it will work at all, pd only seems to scan for
soundcards when it starts (which i think is a bug); so you'd have to
start pd with it plugged in, then probably have to switch pd to/from the
non-usb soundcard before/after replugging the usb

i'm not sure if any app behaves nicely when you abruptly unplug hardware
that it is using - there might be a way to handle it in the ALSA plugin
layer, but the ALSA wiki doesn't look promising...

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/FAQ#How_can_I_create_a_virtual_device_that_can_switch_between_one_of_several_different_soundcards_during_playback_.28without_interruption.29.3F