[PD] GEM Depth of Field

Wed Oct 22 17:53:20 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I'm sort of a GEM n00b but have the basic understanding down.  For a
project I'm working on it would be wonderful to have an effect that
simulates depth of field (blurry foreground, focused background and vice
versa).

>From  what I've read about GEM through tutorials and google searches,
there's no simple object to do this.  The best explanation I've found so
far is http://glprogramming.com/red/chapter10.html (search for dof.c)
which provides c code for producing this effect using the accumulation
buffer.

Now I'm pretty determined to get this to work.  As I see it, my
strategies for now could be a) have someone else tell there is already a
simple object/patch that does this b) try to build a patch that can
mimic the code c) use the c code from that example to build an external
that does this or d) try and fake it some other way (manually blur
images or something).

I'm leaning toward c since I think it could probably be used by others
in the future.  I've never done openGL programming and my skills in
building externals aren't great but this seems worthwhile to do for
myself and probably others who might use the effect.

Thoughts?  Help?  Strategies?

Cheers,

-martin