[PD] [Gnome/Ubuntu] Gem video on external screen

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 05:14:36 CEST 2008

On 23 Oct 2008, at 6:41 AM, Martin . wrote:

> Actually, the CPU bit is not true. Its at 50-60% regardless, sorry for
> the noise.
>
> Still though, I guess the main issue is that Gem crashes upon loading
> videos into pix_film. Anyone know a way to track the reason for Gem
> troubles?
>
> cheers,
> Martin
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Martin .
> <blindmanonacid at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Im a bit desperate to find a way to play video on an external screen
>> without Gem (or even X/Gnome) crashing.
>>
>> Ive set up xorg.conf to a virtual screensize of the double
>> horizontally so as to have a projector read the video from the "right
>> part" of the screen, and still have my GUIs visible on the "left
>> part"
>> (what is visible on my laptop screen).

you will probably need to set xorg for two separate displays, and one
of these can be 3D accelerated, I usually start pd with Gem from the
display with the projector, and control it with another pd started on
the other display. This has worked well with 4 screens from 2 NVIDIA
cards uswing debian, I guess it would be also ok with an intel
chipset, as it does not rely on twinview or any other fancy graphics
stuff. Alternatively I believe Gem can open a gemwin on a different
display to the one pd was started on, check the list archives as I
have not tried this.

simon