[PD] [Gnome/Ubuntu] Gem video on external screen

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 09:19:57 CEST 2008

On 23 Oct 2008, at 1:46 PM, Martin . wrote:

>> you will probably need to set xorg for two separate displays, and
>> one of
>> these can be 3D accelerated, I usually start pd with Gem from the
>> display
>> with the projector, and control it with another pd started on the
>> other
>> display. This has worked well with 4 screens from 2 NVIDIA cards
>> uswing
>> debian, I guess it would be also ok with an intel chipset, as it
>> does not
>> rely on twinview or any other fancy graphics stuff. Alternatively
>> I believe
>> Gem can open a gemwin on a different display to the one pd was
>> started on,
>> check the list archives as I have not tried this.
>>

> Ah, that sounds right - do you know achieve 3D rendering on "one" of
> the displays? As mentioned, my xorg.conf is set as a big virtual
> desktop shared between two screens..:

exact details will depend very much on the graphics card and driver,
but you should aim for the projector display to be the first, or
primary, display, possibly use xorg.conf to turn on direct rendering
for that one and off for the other. With NVIDIA most of this can be
done with the driver GUI. Then either start pd from that display or
give gemwin the appropriate message - I forget what it is but it was
on this list a few weeks ago.

simon