[PD] [ot] PhD, mostly artistic

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 24 12:21:47 CEST 2008

I only know references, maybe UK isn't bad for music+technology (if you
like their music). Jonty Harrison, BEAST, SARC, Richard Barret, ... There
have been lots of developments and funding in the last years. Den Haag is
also a "classic". Don't know if the TU in Berlin or Folkwanghochschule in
Essen have a doctoral program.

> Hey all,
> since i'm planning to start a PhD in the near future i'm trying to
> figure out which institution would fit best to my (currently rather
> blurry) intentions.
> I'd like to research real-time interaction with electronic media
> (emphasis on music), mostly from an artistic point of view.
> Keywords would be digital representation of musical structure
> elements/intentions/ideas, interaction with other performers,
> improvisation/anticipation, interfaces of the physical to the virtual
> world, etc.
> Media and music/art theory would be important, media technology
> should _not_ be the main focus. It would be great if the supervisor
> is an active, renowned artist or specialized theoretician.
> Europe would be preferred, overseas possible nevertheless.
>
> any pointers?
> many thanks,
> Thomas

Friedenstr. 58