[PD] [ot] PhD, mostly artistic

Koray Tahiroglu koray.tahiroglu at taik.fi
Fri Oct 24 12:52:53 CEST 2008

Hello Thomas,

I have been conducting doctoral research at Media Lab University of
Art and Design Helsinki since 2004. The content of my research
matches almost all the keywords you mentioned. Artistic point of view
probably will lead you follow artistic and more experimental
methodologies. Combining your studies and knowledge with artistic
practices are quite new comparing to general scientific ones,
therefore not all the institutions are willing to offer these as
doctoral research methodologies. Almost all the Nordic countries, ( I
know at least Finland-Sweden-Denmark) and UK give full program to
artistic research projects. Here in Helsinki institutions are also
well integrated among each other,  if you are studying at one place,
you can easily attend any seminars in another places and use their
facilities.  It is your responsibility to find who will supervise to
your research. He/she does not need to be from Finland at all, but
they would probably recommend you to have at least one of your
supervisors from Finland to maintain regular meetings. Helsinki is
cold and dark but, New Media, experimental music has its own valuable
scene here both in academic and artistic means. There are also lots
of Pd-people in Helsinki, not that much in touch with each other, but
using Pd heavily in their projects :) If everything will go fine, I
might have my defense day in this December, and I will move back to
Helsinki as well to work further on my things :)

good luck with your PhD prog-search,

Koray

M.Koray Tahiroglu
Media Lab,TAIK