[PD] Script in osx

Nicholas Mariette nicholas.mariette at limsi.fr
Tue Oct 28 14:21:29 CET 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 3:10 PM, Vincent Rioux wrote:

> hi,
> so you mean that pd will read its preference file in
>
> /Contents/org.puredata.pd.plist

yes - but only if no preference file exists in ~/Library/Preferences/

> does it override the ~/Library/Preferences/ one?

no.  therefore you have to rename (backup) or delete this version of
the org.puredata.pd.plist if you want Pd to find its version in
Pd*.app/Contents/

> it's been a while since i managed to use pd command line on osx
> the only way i found was to compile it and move the extras from Pd-
> extended

yeah, this is essentially what i do - starting with a plain Pd .app
bundle, and copying in only the externals i need from Pd-extended.
This way I have a purpose-made Pd.app without the bloat.

> anyway this preferences trick sounds really good.
> thanks

it's not bad, but does have some limitations if you want to load a
patch from within the bundle.  basically, you can only refer to
absolute paths, so if you put a patch in the bundle, designed for a
path of /Applications/Pd*.app/Contents/Resources/my-patch.pd  then it
will only work when the Pd app is in /Applications directory.

I think Hans' Pd standalone app maker overcomes this problem, but I
haven't tried it yet.

hope this script helps some anyway.

Nick