[PD] [GEM-dev] Timing and PD....

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Thu Oct 30 17:28:53 CET 2008

Hey all,

I'll try and work on some test patches, right now I'm trying hard to get
an installation ready, and these issues turned out to be a large
stumbling block.

I suppose I'm doing lots of processing that may be unusual, like:

Grab an image from video device
put the image in a buffer for each frame
send the image in the buffer to a second buffer on each bang from a metro.
pix_share the image in the second buffer
send a bang to tell second pd instance to pix_dump.
turn off the metro.
pix_dump (640x480 GRAY) to ann_som in a second thread
netreceive the winning BMU
use that BMU as the index in which the image has saved in a third buffer.
turn the metro back on.

I'm not thinking pix_share should do sync!! But I feel the need for some
infrastructure better than trigger for complex timing problems like
those I'm having.

I'm still debugging my patch, but adding a whole lot of arbitrary delays
(150ms) are being used to get PD to wait a little bit before accessing
the image in a buffer once it has been written.

Seems the safest way...

I remember Cyrille did mention needing to use these delays to make
things work. I had to use them in parts of pixelTANGO also (when a
message gets passed through many objects and many routes it takes time...)

As I have not noticed any render blocks with pix_buffer stuff, can I
assume it uses a thread like pix_image and so on? I think a "done" bang
would be really useful there.

I also had issues with things like pix_histo, where I would try and save
the hist, but the hist had not changed for the new pix_buffer_read
frame, just because the delay was slower than t b b delay.

Are cyrille and I the only ones seeing these kinds of issues?

Thanks for the comments.
.b.