[PD] reproduce envelope

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Oct 31 15:38:25 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 14:43 +0100, Hans Roels wrote:
> thanks for the clear explanation!
> When I triggered a bang manually in the blocksize 1 subpatch, the
> line~ was absolutely identical. Then I tried to get rid of the
> scheduled messages in the bang from metro (by sending it to other
> objects and transforming it back to a bang) but this didn't work, I
> didn't find a hack.
> Although vline is the most accurate 'in the perfect world', line and
> blocksize 1 can be more precise in the current Pd-version...

i wouldn't say that. i would rather say: by using blocksize 1, you make
all non-accurate objectclasses more accurate. but still: [vline~] is
subsample accurate and you cannot achieve that for other classes by
using a blocksize of 1. also lowering the blocksize comes with more cpu
costs. generally it's not recommended to do that. however, i agree, that
unfortunately some things are yet not possible to do, for instance using
[vline~] as the envelope generator with synched [osc~] or [phasor~].

personally, i think, that all objectclasses that deal with audio and
messages at the same time should be using scheduled message and not
execute the messages only on block boundaries. if this causes backwards
compatibility issues, this could be achieved by adding new classes, as
it happened with [vsnapshot~]. [vosc~] and [vphasor~] would be very
useful. also a [vtabwrite~].

roman