[PD] Hunting denormals?

Bill Gribble grib at billgribble.com
Fri Oct 31 21:27:08 CET 2008

I have a patch of medium complexity, with a handful of instruments~ and
a bunch of sequencing and arranging-type message handling.  On my speedy
Intel laptop it has no problem and barely notches the CPU usage.
However, when I run this patch on my teeny Geode-based UMPC it pegs CPU
at 100%.

I'm pretty sure this is a denormal issue.  There are a grand total of
maybe 5 noise~, 5 osc~, 10 vline~, 5 lop~, and 1 delay line in the whole
patch and not much else besides message processing... I wouldn't guess
this to run me out of compute power.

Any hints on how to isolate where the denormals might be popping up?  I
have looked for signal processing loops, and the only ones I create are
around the delayline (feedback) and I suppose in the iir implementation
of the lop~.

Any help appreciated,
Bill Gribble