[PD] port number with comport on XP

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 17:42:22 CET 2008

Martin Peach(e)k dio:
> altern wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> i am using pd 0.39 extended on XP to control arduino via pduino. Every
>> time I restart my computer and plug Arduino it comes as port COM13 and
>> i have to go and change its name to COM2 in the windows hardware
>> manager. Otherwise i get error when i try to connect to port 13
>>

> I didn't know you could change the name of a COM in Windows.

well i guess i dont change the name to the port but select another
port... this is how i do it
control panel > system > hardware > device manager > under Ports, select
the port > rightclick select properties > port settings > advanced > COM
Port Number > here I choose port number 2 because it is the lower unused
port.

> With [comport] you can use up to COM99 and they will all work if there
> is a port connected. Are you superstitious ? ;) What error do you get?

no i am not superstitious. i get this error
** ERROR ** could not open device COM13:
failure (2)

after changing to port number 2 i get this
Opening COM2
[comport] opened serial line device 2 (COM2)

>> I guess this question has little to do with PD itself but, is there a
>> way to make sure that it always uses port COM2 by default?
>>

> If you want [comport] to use COM2, just make a [comport 2] object.
> Or make a [comport 13] to have it connect to the arduino. USB comports
> may be assigned different numbers by the OS depending on the order you
> connect them in and which USB slot you use.

mm so there is no solution, in this case i will have to set the port
manualy every time i startup. it is ok but if this was for an
instalation it would be a problem. i guess using more up to date
versions of the externals involved would be good, but i am having some
issues with 0.40 and some old GEM patches

thanks

enrike