[PD] PD Float accuracy

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Nov 7 09:45:32 CET 2008

Mark Sexton wrote:
> Hi
> I need PD to make simple but accurate calculations for a sonification project. However there seems to be a problem working accurately with floats that have 7 or more digits in total (before or after the decimal point). PD always seem to round the figure to 6 digits whether in a calculation, or even typing a 7+ digit float into a number box e.g. 1234.5678 rounded to 1234.57
>
> I've got a couple of ugly hacks to work around for now, but it seems a fairly fundamental thing to do, so would be grateful to hear if I'm missing a simple way to get PD to work accurately with floats of any arbitrary length above 6 digits.

you don't need anything.
Pd does uses IEEE floating point values for numbers, you don't loose a
single bit.
it's only the GUI that likes to round the numbers when displaying it.
internally everything is "correct" (as far as it is possible using
single precision floats)

you could change the "width" of a number-box to see more digits.

fgmasdr
IOhannes