[PD] new (and improved) readanysf~

august august at alien.mur.at
Fri Nov 7 18:41:03 CET 2008

Ok,

	It's been a while since I have hacked at pd, but recently I have been
	giving attention to programming projects in c++ and have used pd as
	my test bed for the audio part.  The outcome is an entirely new
	readanysf~ based on gavl/gmerlin audio&video library.

	The new features  include:

		ø:  reads all audio formats that are compiled into gmerlin_avdecoder
	 	    which include ogg, mp3, flac, wma and others.  Mainly all of
			 those supported by ffmpeg plus a few others.

		ø:  multiple channels of audio (I think the limit in pd is 64).

		ø:  not based on Flext.  (Sorry, Thomas, this is not really a
			 feature.  Flext is awesome. )  There were some unknown bugs
			 that made pd crash if you deleted a readanysf~ from screen
			 using newer versions of flext that override the new operator.
			 This also means one less dependency, although I have added
			 others.

	Please download and give it a whirl:

		http://aug.ment.org/software/readanysf~0.20.tar.gz

	You will need  gavl and gmerlin_avdecoder installed from CVS on your
	machine.  These, in turn may ask you, but not require, other libs
	such as ffmpeg and ogg/vorbis.

	cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at gmerlin.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gmerlin login

	cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at gmerlin.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gmerlin co -P gavl
	cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at gmerlin.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gmerlin co -P gmerlin
	cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at gmerlin.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gmerlin co -P gmerlin_avdecoder

	It should compile and run on a mac as well, but it is untested.
	I'd love to hear any comments or suggestons.

	-august.