[PD] Fwd: Gem in Intrepid repo is broken [not resolved]

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Nov 11 13:04:37 CET 2008

Max wrote:
> Am 11.11.2008 um 10:40 schrieb IOhannes m zmoelnig:
>> hans w. koch wrote:
>>> just tried that, no luck.
>>> upon opening the first gem-helpfile, pd segfaults.
>>
>> by just opening the help-file or when clicking on the "create" button?
>
> neither. when you try to make an Gem object, so as soon as you type
> gemwin and hit enter = crash.

interesting.
do you use ubuntu's Pd as well?

>>> could my version of gem be too old? (0.9.0, thats what you get via the
>>> official ubuntu apt-get)
>>
>> yes this is way too old.
>> the current version if 0.91.
>> i cannot remember using 0.9.
>
> yes, the intrepid repositorys promote 0.9 which crashes, and there is no
> working pd-extended for intrepid either.

sorry about the confusion, but my answer was rather sarcastic about the
use of 0.9 vs 0.90; while a trailing 0 after the period can safely be
omitted when dealing with "real numbers", there is a meaning assigned to
it when it comes to version-numbers (which are more like strings).

"0.9" would be inbetween "0.8" and "0.10" (sic!), whereas "0.90" is
between "0.89" and "0.91".

this probably becomes even clearer when dealing with version "0.91.1"

> what can i contribute to solve either or both problems?

the first start would be to get a brand-new Gem from http://gem.iem.at
and compile it yourself.

gasdr
IOhannes