[PD] GEM: the sound is gone!!

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Nov 11 21:44:07 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 20:37 +0100, Jack wrote:
> Hello Chris,
> Here with GEM ver: 0.91.1 'tigital', the message [volume 1( doesn't
> work on [pix_movie] nor on [pix_film] (I need tu use a specific codec
> for the sound ?).
> It would be nice to have a [pix_film] with sound ! Is there a problem
> with the sound of a movie and GEM ?
> Pd version 0.40.3-extended
> MacosX.4.11
> ++

even if it would be possible to let the av framework (quicktime on osx
in this case)  play the audio part automatically, i think it is still
better to do not. rather i would do the audio part completely in pd, for
two reasons:

- you have more control of how the audio should be played. how to play
the audio part, when you play the movie not at its original rate?

- the patch works on pd installations on all platforms, not only on os
x.

otoh, i agree, that it is much easier to program, when the audio is
played automatically.

roman