[PD] first release of libsms + pd externals

Rich E reakinator at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 23:17:19 CET 2008

Hi all,

As some may know, I have been working on updating the SMS code Xavier
Serra wrote during his PhD to work in modern-day, real-time systems.
It is working quite nice now and decently documented, so here is the
first announcement of libsms, a C library for Spectral Modeling
Synthesis things.  This library is meant to be a clean and efficient
implementation of analysis, synthesis, and manipulations in the
spectral domain based on the many publications and hours of the people
that came before me.

I began working on this project because I wanted to use SMS techniques
in Pure Data, so I have been building a Pd library of externals
alongside libsms.  These still need a little more work to get rid of a
few known bugs, but the synthesis is clean and fun.  It by far
surpasses the attempts I previously made with just Pd objects and an
external oscillator bank (this was Trax.pd).

So go here, download it and tell me what you think!
http://mtg.upf.edu/static/libsms/
Of course, this works really nice on my ubuntu machine, and I've been
working out the compiling issues in OS X.  But who knows, the project
is still young.  So if things don't work, or if there are any other
issues that come to mind, please let me know.

cheers,
Rich