[PD] scratching my head about zexy

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Nov 14 23:38:00 CET 2008

On Nov 6, 2008, at 7:36 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:
>
>> This problem has been 100% solved already:
>>
>> <http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/pylang/importstatement.html>
>>
>> The described way of doing things is a win-win for developers and for
>> users; both get maximum flexibility. I can't think of any good reason
>> why we are still debating this and [declare] and [import] on this
>> list.
>
> However: as I understand Miller's intentions, [declare] is not meant
> to be the same as [import]! [declare -*path] modifies the full Pd
> search path, which includes the search path for files that are not
> objects, e.g. soundfiles with no complete path for [soundfiler].
> [import] however - if I understand Hans' intentions correctly - only
> modifies the object search path and loaded libraries.

Minor correction: canvas-local namespace and global namespace,
instead of "object search path".  Or you could say, per-patch search
path, etc.

I think python is a decent model, but I think the namespace/import
stuff in Python is too complicated for Pd.  Here's how I think it
should work:

- canvas-local namespace per patch and global namespace

- the namespaces should be consulted whenever creating an instance,
not only when loading a class.  That means that if I [import zexy]
then use [drip], [drip] won't work in a new patch since 'zexy' hasn't
been imported into that class namespace.

- the exact same mechanism should be used for all objectclasses,
there should be no distinction here between "internal" and "external"
in terms of the library format and the namespace (except, of course,
a small set of "builtins" or reserved words).

I think that this override stuff will be quite confusing to keep
track of and use. Plus it'll require reversing the order of the lookups.

.hc