[PD] OTish Linux audio question - how to put a compressor in the output chain

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Sat Nov 15 13:29:07 CET 2008

hey there everyone,

so i finally got around to installing Ubuntu on my macbook, and, ah - wow.
i've tried to install linux every year for perhaps six years now, starting
with RedHat version 6, and each time have given up. but this time i think
i'm going to stick with it. hooray.

so. the first thing i've noticed is that the sound is crazy quiet compared
to OSX (or rather, OSX is crazy loud compared to everything else). even
playing with all the volume sliders i could find, i could make it only half
as loud as under OSX.

i strongly suspect though that this is because the OSX audio output driver
is actually heavily compressing the audio before sending it to the
speakers, so it just _seems_ louder. i'm a Linux newbie but i've been using
OSX in a BSD-y way (eg spending most of my time in Terminal). is it
possible to insert a compressor module into the PulseAudio or OSS or ALSA
DSP chain somewhere? ideally one that only kicked in when the internal
speaker output was being used, and not when the line-out was being used.

chur!

damian stewart | skype: damiansnz | damian at frey.co.nz
frey | live art with machines | http://www.frey.co.nz