[PD] hot and cold inlets don't always make sense

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Nov 21 17:16:21 CET 2008

Lao Yu wrote:

> For the sake of replying one rather angry reaction (I guess he won't
> read)

whomever you are referring to here - it's very much likely that they
will read your post.

you seem to be used to hostile mailinglists. even though i (personally)
am often grumpy, i would not consider the Pd-list to be hostile in general.

> - when incrementing a coarse / fine value of for instance
> tuning it is totally irrelevant which parameter is changed first. the

this is not the point.
the point is that if you do have control over execution via a hot/cold
inlet model, you can very easily write all-hot objects that circumvent
this. (as without doubt the numerous patches sent in this thread have
demonstrated; i haven't had a look into them).
on the other hand, it is impossible to build a hot/cold object if your
system provides only all-hot objects.

> point is to output a new value whenever either is changed. So
> pointing out that the hot/cold logic is essential to pd's workings
> doesn't even remotely give me a clue.

nobody said that hot/cold logic is essential to Pd's workings.
what has been said is that understanding hot/cold logic is essential to
work with Pd.
since this was your problem, i don't know what other clue one could have
given to you.

fgmasdr
IOhannes