[PD] py and xsample in 0.40.3 extended under Linux

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 09:19:04 CET 2008

hi again

 > in order to improve user experience it would be necessary to have
 > detailed feedback. "it did not complain at all" is not very helpful.

sorry, i meant it did not output any building error. I also quickly
browse the output but i could not see anything that look wrong, but
again i dont know much about compiling so maybe i did not notice.

 >> i just had another look and i found that comenting out
 >> OFLAGS=-O3
 >> in the config-lnx-pd-gcc.txt solved it so now i could compile
 >> xsample and py and the seem to work fine.

 > what exactly happens when "OFLAGS=-O3" is not commented out? Can you
 > paste the console printout, as well as the compiler version?
 > I have a hard time understanding how this line can be a problem,
 > except when the compiler itself is buggy and crashes etc.

When "OFLAGS=-O3" is not commented out there are no output errors in the
build scripts from flext or xsample, it all seems fine. Then PD console
opens but stays waiting forever exactly at the time when PD loads the
externals, I have to quit the program. If i run PD from the terminal i
dont get any error or anything significant after or before quiting PD. I
removed the external and PD started fine again. This behaviour does not
happen when i compile flext and xsample/py with no "OFLAGS=-O3" flag.

I just run again the build script after including again the "OFLAGS=-O3"
flag back and I sent it to a file
$ bash build.sh pd gcc > build_flext.txt
I attach it to this mail. i hope this is useful.

This is the gcc version on my laptop
$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v
--enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr
--enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2 --program-suffix=-4.2
--enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-objc-gc
--enable-mpfr --enable-targets=all --enable-checking=release
--build=i486-linux-gnu --host=i486-linux-gnu --target=i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)

I am thinking now that i had exactly the same problem when i tried to
compile later flext/py/xsample on my desktop. I had to coment out the
OFLAGS=-O3 again to get it running. The desktop is running Debian
64Studio and the laptop Ubuntu Hardy. The gcc in the desktop is
$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v
--enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr
--enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls
--program-suffix=-4.1 --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu
--enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-mpfr --with-tune=i686
--enable-checking=release i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)

I hope this helps. thanks!

enrike