[PD] symbols and route

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Nov 23 14:01:53 CET 2008

Hallo,
Damian Stewart hat gesagt: // Damian Stewart wrote:

> 'To avoid confusion between, say, the number 5 and the list contining only
> the number 5, both messages match "float", and ditto for symbols. An empty
> list matches "bang". In Pd these are all considered special cases of lists.'
>
> so, by my reading of this, in particular, the bit that says "and ditto for
> symbols", if i go
>
> [route symbol float]
>
> and then send in
>
> [mysym (
>
> the 1st outlet should send out 'mysym', yes?

No.

Well, It's confusing, I admit, but "ditto for symbols" means: If you
have a *list* containing only a symbol like "mysym" and a symbol
containing "mysym" as data part ("symbol mysym") they are treated the same.

So "list mysym" and "symbol mysym" are equivalent. However a message
of just "mysym" is neither a  list- nor a symbol-message, instead it
is a "mysm"-message. You can use [route mysym] to grab
mysym-messages.

Look here: http://puredata.info/dev/PdMessages/ for a broader
explanation.

As a general hint: Quite often it is useful to prepend [route] with
[list trim] and stop worrying about the bomb, err, the list-messages:

 [list trim]

 [route freq pitch note]

Ciao
--