[PD] Funny things with list split [was: Pd exam 02: complete a longer list]

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Wed Nov 26 16:27:23 CET 2008

Am 26.11.2008 um 14:47 schrieb Martin Schied:

> Hey all,
>
> I was trying to do this dynamically with the lowest possible amount
> of objects and I found a surprising behavior of [list split]:
>
> Connecting a patchcord back from the second outlet of [list split]
> to its first inlet puts out all elements of a list in reversed
> order of the first outlet.
>
> I know that's neither effective nor the right way to patch in Pd,
> but perhaps someone can explain that?

it's surely a consequence of "depth first" (see pd help examples)...
the message output from the second outlet retriggers and alters the
state of the "list split" before the message is output from the first
outlet. I guess that quite a number of pd objects are not re-entrant
(including most of mine).
gr~~~