[PD] Pd as a 24/7 Icecast/Shoutcast source client.

PSPunch shima at pspunch.com
Thu Nov 27 06:05:33 CET 2008

Hi,

Is there anyone using Pd for doing intense file streaming towards an
Shoutcast/Icecast server?
I am interesting in hearing impressions, discovered drawbacks, etc..

** Some background **

Being in need to prepare a machine running an Icecast source client
24/7, I've been shopping around the last few days.

All existing applications I've tried are either,

- Play list oriented (as seen in many, many Internet radio solutions)

 They are designed to randomly select songs from a huge database
 containing millions of files. Enabling the user to program discipline
 in songs to pick with quite a flexibility...
 where as, I only need to schedule recorded programs to play at certain
 hours. The timing that things get played is as important as what gets
 played.

or

- Has no ability to adjust volume.

 I am expecting to face occasions where I need volume control over the
 output to create fades. (Not "cross", just simple fade outs)
 MPD (Music Player Daemon) came soooo close, assuming I'd be writing
 the scheduler myself. Unfortunately its volume control affects only
 local the output, not volumes of streams sent to Icecast severs.

As much as I love playing with Pd, I never thought at fist that it may
be the only application that would fulfill all my needs in one app,
opposed to preparing some obscure Jack networks.

So,... back to initial statement.

Thanks.

--
David Shimamoto