[PD] fonts on fedora 8

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Nov 28 13:20:23 CET 2008

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> someone please correct me, if i am wrong, but i think, that pd is not
> aware of font-pathes. the very few times i had to deal with fonts and

afaik the fonts findable by Gem, pdp and other libs and the fonts
findable by Pd itself are 2 different things.

Gem for instance manually opens fonts and it does so via Pd's
open-via-path feature (which searches all the searchpaths).
if the specified font (file) does not exist, it will not display anything.

Pd otoh, does not use fonts at all, rather it asks(!) its graphical
toolkit (tcl/tk) to use a certain font which delegates this request to
the system. if the requested font is not available, the system will (or
should) provide a font that is reasonable close.

so Pd should automatically find bitstream-vera-sans-mono file if it
exists on the system.

but of course this is does not help with the initial problem.

btw. here the font-file is located at
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera/VeraMono.ttf.
but since i usually don't use Pd-extended (and don't have it installed
right now) i am not sure whether PdX would really find it (though afair
i never had a problem)

fgamrd
IOhannes