[PD] undoing a dodgy cut and paste

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Nov 28 16:52:52 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 03:02:21PM +0100, Damian Stewart wrote:
> hard off wrote:
> >i'm sure this must have happened to everyone a couple of times:
> >
> >you cut a section of a patch, and paste it into another patch or
> >subpatch.  the pasted contents overlay existing parts of the patch, and
> >you go to move them with your mouse while they are still highlighted.
> >
> >however, sometimes your mouse just doesn't hit a part of the highlighted
> >pasted objects, and the highlight comes off, and you're left with a big
> >tangled mess of objects and patch chords.
> >
> >other than just 'being super careful', is there any way to avoid or fix
> >this problem without moving each individual object by hand???
>
> implement multi-level undo in pd.tk
>
> j/k
>
> but seriously, why can't we multi-level undo yet?

Because Miller's dolist is already long, and nobody wrote the patch for
multi-level undo yet, and submitted it to the patch tracker. Oh wait,
the desiredata guys wrote that UI feature (along with hundreds of
others), but it was heavy with other changes and part of a slow, buggy
build of Pd, and I don't think there was a huge amount of interest in
submitting changes back to Miller, and he probably wouldn't have
accepted them anyway.

Hooray for community! ;)

Chris.