[PD] Pd as a 24/7 Icecast/Shoutcast source client.

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Nov 28 19:04:42 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 09:11 +0900, PSPunch wrote:
> Hi Roman,
>

> Thanks for the insight. Very interesting..
>

> By the way,
>
> > i wonder, how it would be to have pure generative stream without
> > mplayer->jackd->pd quirks. i could imagine, that it would run quite
> > stable.
>
> Is this how you got your chain running?
> If so, is there a reason you avoided using file playback objects within Pd?

nono... it's only, that i am not even using pd to playback the sound,
but mplayer piping the sound over jackd to pd. pd starts mplayer
instances with appropriate flags through [shell], so that mplayer
instances connect to pd on individual jack ports. the problem with that
approach: sometimes mplayer hangs, which makes whole pd hang or at least
impossible from within pd to stop mplayer. a typical situation is:
mplayer can connect, but stream buffer is not filled and as long as it
is waiting, you cannot send commands to mplayer, thus also no stop
commands, so you have to kill it through another [shell] -> this
sometimes kills not only mplayer, but the whole pd process. working
without [shell] mess seems to me much more stable.

the reason why i use mplayer for the playback - and not pd - is because
it supports basically any audio format you can think of. that was an
important goal for the radiosolarkompass project.

roman