[PD] Pd as a 24/7 Icecast/Shoutcast source client (alternative)

PSPunch shima at pspunch.com
Sat Nov 29 01:31:05 CET 2008

Hi Ilias,

> I haven't seen the whole discussion about this, but from what I
> understand someone is using PD, mplayer and jack for streaming to an
> icecast/shoutcast server.
>
> I have used PD as a 24/7 source encoder/streamer, using mp3cast~, in the
> OtherSide project. This was a server that had PD running a synthesis
> patch which can be controlled by OSC through IRC and a bot listening on
> a chatroom there. It has been up for the past 3-4 months non-stop and
> with no maintenance within the University of Sheffield intranet.

Sounds doable with synthesized audio.

When building a "play list" like function that handles virtually an
infinite number of audio files, I think what Roman referred to as
"Symbol table pollution" comes to consideration... I imagine this being
unreleased memory that occurs in the course of handling file names.
Is my understanding correct?

--
David Shimamoto