[PD] Pd as a 24/7 Icecast/Shoutcast source client (alternative)

John Harrison john.harrison at alum.mit.edu
Sun Nov 30 05:37:20 CET 2008

Not sure how much this adds to the conversation but... we have been
using mp3cast~ to stream our radio station to 2 shoutcast servers for a
few years now. Works very well. Occasionally it will cause the entire OS
to hang (happens less than 1x/month with our off-campus server and never
with our oncampus server) but it was more stable than darkice in our
tests as well.

We use Jack for our connections. Our content scheduler is a hacked up
webcalendar, which triggers the content to be played via xmms (to be
replaced hopefully very soon by mplayer), then fed via jack-rack through
a compressor and limiter, and then sent to Pd for streaming.

OT: but we also have a flash server/player solution which we find much
more popular than our shoutcast servers, and ours is the only
open-source web server I have seen actually work. It's an old version of
ffserver --- since 2006 or so that app has been broken for us at least.
Are there others out there?

http://wsuir.wichita.edu

--John

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Ilias Anagnostopoulos
<I.Anagnostopoulos at sheffield.ac.uk
<mailto:I.Anagnostopoulos at sheffield.ac.uk>> wrote:

    Hello,

    I haven't seen the whole discussion about this, but from what I
    understand someone is using PD, mplayer and jack for streaming to an
    icecast/shoutcast server.

    I have used PD as a 24/7 source encoder/streamer, using mp3cast~, in the
    OtherSide project. This was a server that had PD running a synthesis
    patch which can be controlled by OSC through IRC and a bot listening on
    a chatroom there. It has been up for the past 3-4 months non-stop and
    with no maintenance within the University of Sheffield intranet.

    My initial experiment was to run PD through Jack and use Darkice. I'd
    patch the PD outputs to the Darkice inputs, which would then stream to
    the Icecast server. It didn't seem to be as stable though and it was
    more CPU-heavy than mp3cast~. I initially tried to do that cause I
    wanted to use other software apart from PD, but I ended up scripting the
    rest of the software and get their output in PD, which would pipe the
    output directly to the Icecast server. I didn't use a dac~ or jack,
    saving a lot of CPU resources.

    Any comments welcome, I'm still interested in hearing about ways other
    people do similar things.

    Take care,

    Ilias