[PD] Pd as a 24/7 Icecast/Shoutcast source client (alternative)

John Harrison john.harrison at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 1 03:17:03 CET 2008

Ilias Anagnostopoulos wrote:
> John,
>
> I had a look at the radio pages. Looks good. Is there any particular
> reason you chose Shoutcast over Icecast?
We wanted to do mp3 streaming vs. ogg/vorbis to keep this as mainstream
as possible. Shoutcast was the one we knew must work so we started with
that and never left. It would be nice to switch to Icecast due to FLOSS
if it works as well, but we are pretty committed to mp3 as it is so
universally accepted.
> Are you using PD solely for the mp3cast~? Or is it doing more than
> that? Are you using the GUI's for all of these (jack, PD, jack-rack,
> xmms)?
We use the GUIs for everything. Pd is only doing mp3cast. But it is all
automated. We have a remote broadcast machine too whose interface and
operation is all Pd/GRiPD and also it uses mp3cast~ to stream to the
main console.

> From what I understand, ffserver is used for the flash version, right?
yep. It's not that we are a fan of flash but we want to be as inclusive
as possible, not just a station for geeks. We found that flash was the
lowest common denominator for a web player. Even Java, which we started
with, wasn't on as many machines as flash.  We do a lot of broadcasts
which students' grandparents etc. tune into and they could deal with the
flash player better even than iTunes or winamp.

If there is interest in continuing specifically about radio and
streaming, we might need to move off the Pd list? Email me directly.

-John