[PD] Pd/GEM crashing in fc8

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Dec 1 10:13:27 CET 2008

Jaime Oliver wrote:
> Hi Iohannes,
>>
>> do the problems go away when you _not_ load Gem?
>
> Yes, as far as I can tell, they go away.

darn

>> has Gem been compiled against the correct version of Pd?
>
> I don't know, I can't remember when was the last time I downloaded this
> version of GEM, it only says:
> ver: 0.91-cvs

so did you compile Gem yourself or are you using a pre-compiled binary?

>> (m_pd.h used for compilation of Gem belongs to Pd-binary used)
>>
>> it seems like i missed the version of Pd you are trying to use.
>

> My pd version is pd-0.41-4, the thing is that it was working properly before
> i installed all the new libraries and mplayer. That is, the gem and pd
> versions were the same before and they worked fine together... is this
> relevant?

hmm, just in order to get it right: you installed Pd and Gem and
everything worked fine; then you installed mplayer and updated some
libraries; then the old binaries of pd/Gem started to crash.

this sounds very much like an ABI problem to me.
since Gem uses some of the libraries you upgraded (libquicktime,
libmpeg3, FFMPEG(!)), it is a good idea to re-link Gem to this libraries.

this is especially true for FFMPEG which ha a policy of not maintaining
compatibility to older releases.
it is recommended to build Gem without ffmpeg support (unless you know
what you are doing and you really need it) .... though i think it won't
compile with recent ffmpeg anyhow :-)

> Should I download and compile the latest versions of gem and Pd and see?

just re-compiling Gem should be sufficient.

fgmasdr
IOhannes