[PD] Pd/GEM crashing in fc8

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Dec 1 11:09:51 CET 2008

Jaime Oliver wrote:
> hello again,

hi

>> this sounds very much like an ABI problem to me.
>

> what does ABI mean? I'm pretty sure it's not any of these:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABI...

it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_binary_interface

> (you'll excuse my ignorance in this and some of what follows...)

at least i understand it as "binary compatibility".
probably it means something else.

>> since Gem uses some of the libraries you upgraded (libquicktime, libmpeg3,
>> FFMPEG(!)), it is a good idea to re-link Gem to this libraries.
>

> well, when i run ./configure in GEM, it tells me:
> Actually, I could do without it, but I don't know how to get rid of it... is
there a nice command like uninstall ffmpeg? I installed it via-yum with
freshrpms or a similar repo... I imagine i could do without mpeg3 to.

to read mp4s i just need quicktime right?

depends on which codecs come with your installation of libquicktime.
it should work though.

> use mpeg-3 : yes
> use quicktime : yes
> use ffmpeg : yes
>
> So doesn't this imply they are linked? I didn't have this libraries on this

yes, this is implied.

> computer before, so they are brand new.

wait.
which libraries is Gem linked with?
try "ldd /path/to/Gem.pd_linux"
and/or create a [pix_film] object and observe what it says.

>> this is especially true for FFMPEG which ha a policy of not maintaining
>> compatibility to older releases.
>> it is recommended to build Gem without ffmpeg support (unless you know what
>> you are doing and you really need it) .... though i think it won't compile
>> with recent ffmpeg anyhow :-)

see below...

> Actually, I could do without it, but I don't know how to get rid of it... is
> there a nice command like uninstall ffmpeg? I installed it via-yum with
> freshrpms or a similar repo... I imagine i could do without mpeg3 to.

actually it is simple:
% ./configure --help
and then something like
% ./configure --without-ffmpeg

i thought that ffmpeg was disabled by default in the current HEAD of Gem
which would make this unneccessary...i'll doublecheck

> to read mp4s i just need quicktime right?

depends on which codecs come with your installation of libquicktime.
it should work though.

> Ok, so I got his errors:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/joliverl/Desktop/Gem/src/Pixes'
> In file included from pix_filmNEW.cpp:28:
> ../Pixes/filmFFMPEG.h:23:22: error: avformat.h: No such file or directory
> ../Pixes/filmFFMPEG.h:24:21: error: avcodec.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from pix_filmNEW.cpp:30:
> ../Pixes/filmMPEG3.h:22:22: error: libmpeg3.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from filmMPEG3.cpp:16:
> ../Pixes/filmMPEG3.h:22:22: error: libmpeg3.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from filmFFMPEG.cpp:17:
> ../Pixes/filmFFMPEG.h:23:22: error: avformat.h: No such file or directory
> ../Pixes/filmFFMPEG.h:24:21: error: avcodec.h: No such file or directory
>
> so there seems to be problems both with mpeg3 and ffmpeg, is this what you
> mean by linking them?

for theffmpeg error see above.
the mpeg3 error seems to be because fc8 stores the mpeg3-headers in
/usr/include/mpeg3 rather than directly in /usr/include/ and does not
provide a pkg-config option to detect this...

anyhow, just add another "--without-mpeg3" to the configure options.

fmgasdr
IOhannes