[PD] Speaker protection abstraction

Spencer Russell spencer.f.russell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 14:50:41 CET 2008

Most of my live performance work involves realtime processing of
upright bass, and I find myself often using a lot of very short
variable IIR taps (delays with feedback).

I use either my 500-watt bass amp or the house PA as output.

Right now I don't have any explicit patchage to make sure I'm not
pumping out any signal that's straining the amplification system, and
if I watch my speakers as I play I often see them popping in and out
in a distressing fashion.

I'm thinking I should start including some basic speaker protection
into the output stage of my patches, mostly a limiter and highpass
filter to get rid of any sub-audio and DC signal.

Is this necessary? I assume that either the output of the firebox or
the input of my amplification setup is AC-coupled and should be
getting rid of DC anyways, but we all know what happens when you
assume.

Are other people using speaker protection patches? Anything more
sophisticated than the classic [hip~ 5] before the output?

-spencer